The name is in honour of the banker, pioneer and pastoralists George Fife Angas who from England, played a significant role in the formation and establishment of the free settled colony of South Australia.
Angas strongly believed that the colonization of South Australia should be based on free trade, free government and freedom of religion by free settlers.
This led to his purchasing substantial land and in 1832, joining the committee of the South Australian Land Company. By tenanting his South Australian properties, he assisted immigration of free settlers from German and English backgrounds.
Many of these settlers brought with them grapevines and mixed farming practices which aided in the quality and growth of the South Australian wine industry on the global stage.
Later in life, George Fife Angas migrated to South Australia himself and settled outside the township of Angaston in the Barossa, which shares his name. He was considered very much as royalty – a King of sorts.
He served as a member of the first South Australian Legislative Council and left an enormous legacy both in the Barossa and South Australia.